Monday, March 9, 2009

Field Trip: A Blizzard

DSC_0446


This was the view out of my side kitchen window yesterday morning, afternoon, and evening.



DSC_0447


I could just barely make out the school snow machine and other assorted items that usually occupy the space near our house...



DSC_0448


This was the view from my front kitchen window.




DSC_0445


I actually braved the storm enough to stick my camera out the front door.



Middle of October


I realized that the above picture was kind of useless to my gentle readers that don't know what the view from my front door usually looks like. So, this is the normal view (except that sometimes the water is more frozen).



October Storm


And this is what the view looks like during a storm that's not a blizzard.



DSC_0451


But yesterday was a blizzard. I did not feel like walking out into this, so I spent the day doing the following things:

-curling up on my couch
-wearing my jammy pants and fuzzy socks
-spending quality time on my laptop

(It has recently come to my attention that my behavior during a blizzard is mostly the same as my behavior NOT during a blizzard...)



DSC_0453


I couldn't avoid the snow any longer this morning.



DSC_0456


I had to go to work.



DSC_0457


So, I put on my biggest boots and crawled through the massive drifts...

(Note to readers: My husband, who usually exercises outstanding judgment, didn't bring his boots home over the weekend, so he had to make his way through this snow in loafers. I mustered enough sympathy to only laugh semi-loudly as he soaked said loafers, along with his socks, slacks, and the bottom portion of his coat.)


DSC_0459


to my classroom.



DSC_0460


The snow made this cool pattern. I'm sure you could tell something about the wind speeds by looking at the pattern of the snow plastered to the side of my portable. I just don't know what that is.



DSC_0487


The rest of the village was similarly covered.



DSC_0468


Drifts were piled up against houses...



DSC_0470


the health clinic...



DSC_0466


storage units...



DSC_0467


and over vehicles. Luckily, this truck hasn't gone anywhere for a while anyway.



DSC_0476


This is our buddy George.



DSC_0477


George is digging up his snow machine. Good luck George!

I'd like to say that this will be our last storm for a while, but I just can't muster the optimism.



5 comments:

Wes Harris said...

Brrrr! Way too much cold and snow for me.

tonksfam said...

It makes you wonder what obsessed people to settle there. Until you look at that view from your front door on non-blizzard days. I can see that :)

Steve: next time try an industrial strength hair dryer with a VERY long extension cord.

JEM said...

Soooo ... no snow days in Shishmaref, I take it?

Happy you're back, Ang. I missed you.

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

Holy HANNAH!

Also, I promise with this, your second post, to stop harassing you and pretending you don't exist anymore. Pinky swear.

On another note, I need you! I may be sending a message on FB shortly asking for your memories and ideas for a rocking girls camp!

Nick and Brent said...

I'm happy to see your back to your blogging. I look forward to your posts! So no snow days up in Alaska, even for blizzards? :)